News

Odds slashed on Philippe Coutinho moving to Newcastle United

Brazilian Philippe Coutinho is one of a handful of players being linked with Newcastle United should their looming takeover actually take place in the coming weeks. Several leading bookies have recently slashed the odds on Coutinho making a return to the English top-flight with the somewhat unlikely destination of St James’ Park being touted by some operators.

Indeed major bookmaker Unibet are one of a handful of forms to have cut the odds substantially on such a move taking place, the price on Coutinho being with the Magpies next term shortening from 66/1 to just 6/4. This implies a perceived 40% chance that he moves to Newcastle United next season and over the past two days, around 60% of all bets have been aimed towards the Brazilian moving to Tyneside.

Other leading bookmakers are offering bigger prices on such a transfer with Paddy Power and Betfair both going 10/1 and BetVictor 8/1.

Elsewhere, Chelsea are being seen as the most likely destination for Coutinho with the West London side an 11/10 shout to get their hands on the Bayern Munich attacking midfielder. Odds of 3/1 are on offer for Coutinho to make a move to any other Bundesliga side while 4/1 says that he ends up at Tottenham Hotspur next term.

Manchester United are next in the betting market at odds of 6/1 while Premier League champions-in-waiting Liverpool are a 15/2 shot to lure him to Anfield.

The 27-year-old is currently out of action due to an ankle injury and as such he played no part in Bayern Munich’s 2-0 win away to Union Berlin last weekend. Nevertheless Coutinho is the latest high-profile player to be linked with a move to St James’ Park and with huge riches soon to be available to Newcastle United, it would be unwise to count this potential transfer out just yet.

 

Philippe Coutinho Club After Summer Transfer Window

(Odds provided by Unibet Bookmakers)

 

11/10 – Chelsea

3/1  –  Any German Club

4/1  –  Tottenham Hotspur

6/1  –  Manchester United

15/2 –  Liverpool

14/1 –  Manchester City